Council Responsibilities

Maryport Town Council is a small local authority represented by 18 elected Councillors. Councillors are elected every four years & operate on a voluntary basis. The Council’s area is divided into seven wards, each covering different parts of the council area, with the number of councillors representing each ward determined by the number of residents in the ward. The seven wards are:

  • Brooklands, (one councillor)
  • Ellenborough, (four councillors)
  • Ellenfoot, (one councillor)
  • Ewanrigg, (four councillors)
  • Flimby, (three councillors)
  • Glasson, (one councillor)
  • Netherhall, (four councillors)

The Town Council has a wide range of powers & duties, defined by a number of Acts of Parliament, including the Local Government Act (1972) and various Public Health acts. In practice, the Town Council looks after many things in the Maryport area which improve the facilities and environment for its residents and businesses. It also acts in the representation of the town and its residents at higher levels of local government.

Town Councillors are better placed to listen to and understand the views of people in their community than members of higher tiers of local government. Many public bodies and organisations acknowledge this is the hardest information for them to capture and they, in turn, use the skills and local knowledge of the parish or town council for advice to assist and inform their services.

To facilitate the management of its operations, the Council is structured by a committee. Its three main committees cover the following areas:

  • Allotments
  • Finance & General Purposes
  • Planning & Economic Development

The Council employs a Town Clerk & Responsible Finance Officer, under a job share arrangement, to manage the Council’s business and provide a contact point for the public, through the Council offices, which are located in the Town Hall on Senhouse Street. The Clerk/RFO is the Council’s principal executive and adviser, & acts in an independent role, taking instruction from the Council as a body whole; the Clerk/RFO is not answerable to any individual councillor. As the Council’s ‘Proper Officer’, the Clerk/RFO is responsible for implementing Council policy; ensuring that the Council acts within the law; & advising the Council on all aspects of its work, including financial, governance, ethical and procedural matters.

Town Council Services

Maryport Town Council is responsible for the services listed below.


The Council is responsible for providing and maintaining allotments in the following locations:

  • Church Street, Maryport
  • Flimby
  • Sandy Lonning, Maryport

Anyone living in the Maryport area interested in registering for an allotment can download the Allotment Application Form Here, and the Allotment Tenancy Agreement can be viewed here. Successful applicants are added to the waiting list for their preferred site & contacted when a suitable plot becomes available.

Bus Shelters

The Council is responsible for the provision and maintenance of bus shelters.

Coke Ovens

The Council is responsible for the provision and maintenance of the Coke Ovens amenity site.

Statues & Memorials

The Council is responsible for the provision and maintenance of the Fishy Tales Statue at the bottom of Shipping Brow, the Alauna Aurora & the Edward ‘Ned’ Smith Memorial, both on the harbourside.

Christmas Lighting

The Council is responsible for the provision and maintenance of the Christmas Lights in Maryport.

Environmental Improvements

The Council provides financial support for environmental improvements to areas within the Council area.

Grants & Donations

The Council provides financial support to local organisations & events in the Maryport area.

Remembrance Day

The Council is responsible for the organisation and operation of the annual Remembrance Day commemoration events in Maryport & Flimby.

Community Support

The Council offers Mayoral attendance and support for organisations and events across the area.

All Other Services

Higher-level council services are provided by Cumbria County Council & Allerdale Borough Council. Cumbria County Council is responsible for services such as Education, Highways & Highway Lighting & Social Services. Allerdale Borough Council is responsible for services such as Benefits, Council Tax & Refuse Collection. Enquiries concerning services which are the responsibility of either of those councils should be made directly.